Table of Contents
- How to Go Kedarnath from Mumbai by Train
- 1. Mumbai to Haridwar: The Starting Point
- 2. Haridwar to Rishikesh: The Next Leg
- 3. Rishikesh to Sonprayag: The Final Stretch
- 4. Sonprayag to Kedarnath: The Sacred Trek
- 5. Returning from Kedarnath
- 1. Can I reach Kedarnath directly from Mumbai by train?
- 2. How long does it take to reach Kedarnath from Mumbai?
- 3. Are there any direct flights from Mumbai to Kedarnath?
Traveling from Mumbai to Kedarnath, one of the most sacred pilgrimage sites in India, can be an enriching and spiritual experience. While there are various modes of transportation available, traveling by train offers a convenient and cost-effective option. In this article, we will guide you on how to go from Mumbai to Kedarnath by train, providing you with valuable insights and tips to make your journey smooth and memorable.
1. Mumbai to Haridwar: The Starting Point
The first step in your journey from Mumbai to Kedarnath is to reach Haridwar, which serves as the gateway to the holy town. Haridwar is well-connected to Mumbai by train, and several trains operate on this route. The journey from Mumbai to Haridwar takes approximately 24 to 30 hours, depending on the train you choose.
Here are some popular trains that connect Mumbai to Haridwar:
- Mumbai – Haridwar Express
- Dehradun Express
- Uttarakhand Sampark Kranti Express
It is advisable to book your train tickets well in advance, especially during peak pilgrimage seasons, to ensure availability and secure a comfortable journey.
2. Haridwar to Rishikesh: The Next Leg
Once you reach Haridwar, the next step is to travel to Rishikesh, which is approximately 20 kilometers away. Rishikesh is a popular destination for spiritual seekers and serves as a base for the journey to Kedarnath.
To reach Rishikesh from Haridwar, you can opt for a local bus, shared taxi, or an auto-rickshaw. The journey takes around 45 minutes to 1 hour, depending on the mode of transportation and traffic conditions.
3. Rishikesh to Sonprayag: The Final Stretch
From Rishikesh, you need to proceed to Sonprayag, the last motorable point before Kedarnath. Sonprayag is approximately 220 kilometers away from Rishikesh and serves as the starting point for the trek to Kedarnath.
There are several options available to reach Sonprayag:
- Shared Taxis: Shared taxis are a popular mode of transportation from Rishikesh to Sonprayag. They are cost-effective and offer a comfortable journey. It is advisable to book your seat in advance to avoid any last-minute hassles.
- Private Taxis: If you prefer a more personalized and convenient option, you can hire a private taxi from Rishikesh to Sonprayag. This allows you to travel at your own pace and make stops along the way.
- State Transport Buses: Uttarakhand State Transport Corporation (UTC) operates regular bus services from Rishikesh to Sonprayag. These buses are economical and provide a reliable mode of transportation.
The journey from Rishikesh to Sonprayag takes approximately 7 to 8 hours, depending on the traffic and road conditions. It is advisable to start early in the morning to avoid any delays and reach Sonprayag well before sunset.
4. Sonprayag to Kedarnath: The Sacred Trek
From Sonprayag, the final leg of your journey involves a trek to Kedarnath. The trek is approximately 20 kilometers long and takes around 6 to 8 hours, depending on your fitness level and pace.
Here are some important points to keep in mind while trekking to Kedarnath:
- Start Early: It is advisable to start the trek early in the morning to avoid the scorching heat and ensure a comfortable journey.
- Carry Essentials: Make sure to carry enough water, snacks, and essential medicines for the trek. It is also recommended to wear comfortable trekking shoes and carry a raincoat or umbrella, as the weather can be unpredictable.
- Take Breaks: The trek to Kedarnath involves steep ascents and descents. Take regular breaks to rest and rejuvenate. There are several tea stalls and shops along the way where you can refuel.
- Stay Overnight: It is advisable to stay overnight in Kedarnath to witness the morning Aarti (prayer ceremony) at the Kedarnath Temple. There are several accommodation options available in Kedarnath, ranging from budget guesthouses to luxury hotels.
5. Returning from Kedarnath
After seeking blessings at the Kedarnath Temple and experiencing the divine atmosphere, it’s time to return to Mumbai. The return journey follows the same route, starting with the trek back to Sonprayag, followed by a road journey to Rishikesh, and finally, a train journey from Haridwar to Mumbai.
It is advisable to plan your return journey in advance and book your train tickets accordingly. Make sure to keep a buffer day in your itinerary to account for any unforeseen circumstances or delays.
Traveling from Mumbai to Kedarnath by train offers a convenient and cost-effective option for pilgrims. The journey involves traveling from Mumbai to Haridwar, followed by a road journey to Rishikesh, and finally, a trek to Kedarnath. It is important to plan your journey well in advance, book train tickets early, and make necessary arrangements for transportation and accommodation. By following these steps and keeping important tips in mind, you can embark on a spiritual journey to Kedarnath and create memories that will last a lifetime.
1. Can I reach Kedarnath directly from Mumbai by train?
No, there is no direct train connectivity from Mumbai to Kedarnath. The journey involves traveling from Mumbai to Haridwar by train, followed by a road journey to Rishikesh, and finally, a trek to Kedarnath.
2. How long does it take to reach Kedarnath from Mumbai?
The total travel time from Mumbai to Kedarnath depends on various factors such as train timings, road conditions, and trekking speed. On average, it takes around 2 to 3 days to reach Kedarnath from Mumbai.
3. Are there any direct flights from Mumbai to Kedarnath?
No, there are no direct flights from Mumbai to Kedarnath. The nearest airport to Kedarnath is Jolly Grant Airport in Dehradun, from where you can proceed to Rishikesh by